Risotto making can be very challenging. However, the more often you make it, the better it will be and the easier it will become for you to create your own variations. The most important elements you should keep in mind when making a risotto are:
- Use a homemade stock. Do not use bouillon or any powdered stock. Using plain hot water would actually be preferred.
- Cook the rice in a large saucepan (copper if possible for even distribution of heat).
- Use top-quality fresh ingredients to add into your risotto.
- Remove the risotto from the flame before it is al dente since it will continue to cook off the heat.
- Finish the risotto with plenty of stock so that it is all'onda (wavy) and not solid like mashed potatoes.