Vialone Nano Riso alle Vongole
The short, pebbly, grains of Vialone Nano are perfectly paired with flavors from the sea. It is no wonder its a favorite of coastal Veneto, usually served with squid ink.
Pre-cook the rice
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add rice to the boiling water, and cook until al dente, approximately 12 minutes.
- Drain rice, and spread lightly with your fingers on a baking sheet to cool. This helps it retain its al dente texture. Allow to cool.
Prepare the dish
- Pour olive oil into a pan over medium heat and add smashed garlic. Let the garlic infuse until lightly golden, careful not to burn it. Remove from the oil.
- Add red chili peppers to the oil.
- Circle the pan with a splash of cooking wine, then add fish stock.
- A couple grinds of pepper to the pan.
- Drop in the clams and cook for 2-3 minutes until the clams have opened. Discard any that stay closed.
- Drizzle the cooked rice like rain, showering the cooked clams & bubbly stock.
- Salt to taste.
- Replace the lid and let rest for 5 minutes so the rice absorbs the flavor of the dish.
- Before serving, sprinkle on as much flat-leaf Italian parsley as you wish.