Carnaroli Cacio e Pepe
Pre-cook the rice
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add rice to the boiling water, and cook until al dente, approximately 12 minutes.
- Drain rice, and spread lightly with your fingers on a baking sheet to cool. This helps it retain its al dente texture. Allow to cool.
Prepare the dish
- Heat a small nonstick pan over medium to medium-high heat.
- Add butter to pan and warm until bubbly and looking brown and nutty.
- Sprinkle the pecorino to cover the bottom of the pan in a thin layer like a thick pancake).
- Grind pepper over the pecorino using the coarsest grind setting or use a mortar and pestle).
- Cover the cheese and pepper with a layer of cooked carnaroli, spread into an even layer, about a 1/2” thick.
- Cook on medium to medium-high heat and let it sit untouched like a riso al salto. You will think you are burning it but let it be.
- Once the rice is beginning to cook, sprinkle on a layer of pecorino.
- You’ll begin to hear regular, loud cracking sounds from the cooking cheese and rice.
- Use a spoon to tamp down around the sides, and help the rice come together in a dish shape.
- Continue to let it crack away.
- When you can shake the pan and the rice cake no longer stuck to the bottom of the pan your dish is ready
- Cover the pan with a plate and flip the rice onto the plate.
Created by Rolando Beramendi