Arborio Insalata Caprese
Arborio rice cooks to pillowy perfection for this delicate salad.
- 1 cup Principato di Lucedio Arborio Rice
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, chopped into bite sized pieces to match the size of the halved cherry tomatoes
- 10-12 large basil leaves torn by hand into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup Titone DOP extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Tellicherry pepper to taste
Pre-cook the rice
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add rice to the boiling water, and cook until al dente, approximately 12 minutes.
- Drain rice, and spread lightly with your fingers on a baking sheet to cool. This helps it retain its al dente texture. Allow to cool.
Prepare the dish
- In a large bowl combine cooked rice, mozzarella, tomatoes and basil leaves.
- Pour olive oil over the mixture and stir to distribute evenly.
- Stir in cracked pepper and salt to taste.
This salad is the perfect canvas for other Italian pantry products. Try one or more of these additions:
Colatura – a tablespoon brings a bold, umami punch
Agresto – add a splash for brightness
Created by Rolando Beramendi